Adventures in Mommyhood

How I learned to stop worrying and enjoy life.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My country tis of thee...


Love or hate Obama, there is something positively mesmerizing about the inherent joy of our country today. In a time of recession unparalleled since the 1930s and almost six years of war, it is thoroughly refreshing to see people dancing in the streets because they finally remembered what it feels like to be proud to be an American. I am not writing to engage in political discussion, but to express that it is easy to see the glory of God in a chance for change and new found hope. It is a beautiful thing.

I also love knowing that Claire will never know a time without a black president. (also note- Joe Biden is the first Catholic VP and first Catholic in such a high ranking office since Kennedy). The other day, Michael and I were discussing the difference this makes for black people everywhere, when he remarked that he was sure black Americans probably felt like they would never see a president that resembled them. I returned the suggestion by stating that I always felt that way as a girl. I never thought I would see a woman president in my time. However, we sure came close this race- with women running for president and vice president. I now feel like it IS possible to see that in my lifetime. I am overjoyed tha things such as this will probably always seem possible to Claire. She may even feel like she wants to run for an office herself someday- like her daddy. I am nearly certain Uncle Dan, who bought Claire the onesie pictured above, would campaign heartily for her.

For now, I am about ready to sign off. I am filled with hope and wish you all the same joy.

Much Love,
Lindsay and Claire

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home