Adventures in Mommyhood

How I learned to stop worrying and enjoy life.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Gratitude Lesson.

I think what I need is a gratitude lesson. Sometimes, it is so easy to get caught up in what you want and where you think you should be that you have to work to avoid becoming self-centered. I think, it takes a lot of guts to admit that I feel selfish at times. It feels awful.

Lately, opportunites have passed by and dissolved, and I am still on pins and needles waiting to learn about scholarships- praying for money to pay for college. Sometimes, I get frustrated and want to scream. Why does it have to be so diffcult to make ends meet? Why can't I do what it looks like other people are doing? Ugh! Comparing self to others is so human, yet so futile! Now, I should admit, I was giving a gift that I did not expect. A gift from heaven that took care of my car payment and my student loan! Another blessing, I do not have to pay for summer child care. Why is it so easy to take these little miracles for granted? Why is it still so easy to focus on the 'want' and not the 'have'?

My blessings are pretty obvious: number one, I have a beautiful, healthy baby girl who makes my life complete (funny how it sounds like such a cliche, but I could just gush, really!), my husband and I have our health, somehow, our house still stands in the face of numerous tornado, hail, and fire threats, we are employed in an uncertain economy, we own our cars, we have no debt. That sounds much better than any thoughts of what we DON'T have.

My goals in gratitude are simple:

1) give more- be charitable with money, time, efforts, and creativity. Changing focus matters.

2) consider the other side- remember how many people may be struggling with the same things you are, but think you are the person who has it all.

3) distract yourself- do a project that interests you- I need to sew or create somehow.

4) get over yourself- I don't know how to do this all the time... We'll see.

How do you fight the 'I want's? How do you remember to stay grateful?

I love comments, so let me know your thoughts, please.

xoxo,
Lindsay

1 Comments:

At May 21, 2010 at 11:50 PM , Anonymous Pam Lampert said...

Try to remember that when you see other people easily affording this or that, you never have the whole picture. Plenty of people look like they are living the dream, but they are buried in debt.

I always try to think of this when someone I know gets a new car (or a boat, or a 3,000 square foot house, or whatever). It's easy in the military community, where everyone knows exactly, to the penny, how much everyone else makes.

I've had a friend tell me that, as a staff sergeant, Levi could easily afford a brand new truck just like her husband can. All I could think was, no, you can't afford that, and I know this for a fact.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home